In this episode, Black Girl In Om Founder Lauren Ash and Art Director Deun Ivory chat with Dr. Tiffany Lester, their favorite doctor who takes an integrative approach to health. Dr. Lester takes a holistic approach to wellness as she is additionally trained in acupuncture and nutrition. She encourages all of us to go beyond medicine as the cure-all and to consider preventative approaches. From tips on how to build resilience and effectively manage stress, to healing yourself through food and gut health practices, Dr. Lester addresses listener questions and provides useful advice. At the heart of this conversation, we hope listeners will feel empowered to get to the root causes of health challenges. Continue to follow Dr. Lester's journey on Instagram at @DrTiffanyLester and on Twitter at @DrTiffanyLester. To read more of her tips on health and wellness, get connected on her website: www.drtiffanylester.com.
This episode is sponsored by Bird + Anchor, which offers travel kits for the wellness-minded traveler through thoughtfully-selected, travel-friendly self-care, wellness, clean beauty and skincare essentials. BGIO listeners may enjoy 15% off their entire order using code BGIOTRAVELS now through end of August 2017.
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU'LL FIND OUT ABOUT:
- Deun and Lauren's latest homemade smoothie recipes!
- A sneak peak of Lauren's latest experience jumping into the KonMari method with Kristyn Ivey and radically tidying her space to bring her more joy
- How Deun made changes to address skincare challenges the natural way, with Tiffany's support and self-exploration
- What gut health is and why you should take it seriously
- The one thing that Tiffany thinks ALL black women should be thinking about in their 20s.
- Why Tiffany is so passionate about quality sleep: and why it's a vital sign that you should be taking seriously.
- Why hormone issues, like PMS, should not be normalized and why you should address them early on
- The importance of getting to the root cause on health issues, not putting a temporary fix (medicine) on them.
- How to be preventative with stress and build resilience to manage daily stressors
- What foods help manage anxiety!
"I am a doctor, but at my core, I'm a healer." — @DrTiffanyLester #BGIO Click to tweet
"I feel like a special little unicorn. I know that I was meant to do this." — @DrTiffanyLester #BGIO Click to tweet
"Be vital and thriving versus just surviving." — @DrTiffanyLester #BGIO Click to tweet
"It's crazy how we normalize dysfunction and learn how to operate out of that." — @deunivory #BGIO Click to tweet
"Doctors back in the day got paid if you were well. In our modern society, that has totally flipped." — @DrTiffanyLester Click to tweet
"I feel like there's an energy around people of color sharing [preventative] resources" — @HelloLaurenAsh #BGIO Click to tweet