Hello, hello. Hey, hello hello. We're back, y'all! In this episode Black Girl in Om Founder Lauren Ash and Art Director Deun Ivory welcome everyone back for season 3. It has been three months since season two ended and the dynamic podcast duo discusses what they've been up to lately. We gain insight into how music impacts both of these beauties and which artists have their attention at the moment. They each share recent life lessons learned about the importance of staying true to yourself and your needs as well as the concept of radical self-acceptance. We also hear about their latest self-care cultivation strategies and recent wins for Deun, Lauren and BGIO. Throughout their conversation, we're reminded that it is both okay and necessary to celebrate your achievements.
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU'LL FIND OUT ABOUT:
- Black Girl in Om gettin' love from Saint Heron: we're listed in their 16 Black Voiced Podcasts Worth Adding to Your Playlist roundup!
- Lauren Ash's love for black male vocalists sharing their vulnerability. (Check out the latest BGIO Spotify playlist Lauren created for our October Woke & Well theme!)
- Deun Ivory's current obsession with SZA for being unapologetic in her experiences and for sharing her very personal and very relatable album CTRL.
- How music from the 80s and 90s has a way of freeing us from the pressures of the new millennium.
- What life has been teaching Lauren and Deun over the past three months.
- Lauren's new read Radical Acceptance by Tara Brach and the importance of naming precisely what you're experiencing when it's happening and not pushing those feelings aside as we all have a tendency to do.
- Why it's necessary to follow your curiosity and follow what you feel called to do.
- The ways both Lauren and Deun cultivate self-care through discipline and commitment. (Spoiler alert: skin care practices included.)
- Major accomplishments, partnerships, wins and growth opportunities on the horizon for Deun, Lauren and Black Girl in Om.
- "Music is my first love" — @deunivory Click to tweet
- "Sometimes we are afraid to be human" — @hellolaurenash Click to tweet
- "So often we feel obligated to reciprocate when we don't have to" — @hellolaurenash Click to tweet
- "Be willing to be uncomfortable" — @hellolaurenash Click to tweet
- "Commitment creates beautiful things" — @deunivory Click to tweet