Ep. 003 - Five Challenges on our Self-Care Journeys
This episode, co-hosts Lauren Ash and Zakkiyyah Najeebah discuss challenges they face on their respective self-care journeys—including unforgiveness, selfishness, patience, and more. This dialogue comes from a vulnerable place for both of them in the hopes that this conversation will inspire more women of color to open up about the challenges that they face in order to grow. In this episode, listeners may also enjoy a free, 5-day home try-on courtesy of episode 003 sponsor Warby Parker. Visit www.warbyparkertrial.com/postloudness to select your favorite glasses today!
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU'LL FIND OUT ABOUT:
- Why Zakkiyyah and Lauren find it important to refer to these as challenges rather than struggles (let's make #DropStruggle a trending topic on Twitter, shall we?).
- Why Lauren embraces therapy as a support for her self-care journey.
- How Zakkiyyah has learned to cultivate more patience and self-compassion.
- Zakkiyyah’s best practices for keeping it real with herself.
- How Lauren affirms good behavior to stay consistent with her self-care practices.
- Zakkiyyah and Lauren’s favorite twerk songs of the moment, and their thoughts and philosophy about twerking as black women.
“I have the power and capability to forgive and move on, & forgive myself.” – @HelloLaurenAsh #BGIO Click to Tweet
“You can never ever control what anyone does or what they are going to do, but you are always in control of your response.” – @ZNajeebah Click to Tweet
“I’m learning how to deal with being patient with myself. It’s okay to have bumps in the road, but at least I’m making an effort to hold myself accountable.” – @ZNajeebah Click to Tweet
“I feel like that’s the key to life: self-compassion” @HelloLaurenAsh #BGIO Click to Tweet
This episode is sponsored by Warby Parker. Warby Parker was founded with a rebellious spirit and a lofty objective: to offer designer eyewear at a revolutionary price, while leading the way for socially conscious businesses.